Saturday, June 8, 2013

Kickapoo State Recreation Area: Out and Back Trail (Blog Hike #144)

This hike is no longer posted.  This blog entry was based on my 2004 hike on Kickapoo State Recreation Area's Out and Back Trail.  In 2006, the Johnson Hill Bridge used by the trail to cross the Middle Fork of the Vermilion River was demolished, thus forcing a major trail reroute.  I hiked the new route in May 2019, and that hike is posted as Blog Hike #749.  For historical purposes, the pictures from the old route are posted below:

Approaching the Johnson Hill Bridge

Trail atop Johnson Hill

Creek crossing on Out-and-Back Trail

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you might be right! I am investigating, and I will post an update when I get some concrete answers. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. :)

    David, aka the Mathprofhiker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: I contacted the park Superintendent. As suggested above, the Johnson Hill Bridge was demolished in 2006. The trail now has a new route: at 2.25 miles it follows the gravel road due north to the shore of a pond. The new round-trip distance is about 6 miles, and signs have been installed past 2.25 miles to keep you on the route. Unfortunately, the park map (a.k.a. site map) available through the park's website has not yet been updated.

    ReplyDelete