Monday, January 7, 2013

Welcome to my Hiking Blog

Welcome to the homepage for my hiking blog. I grew up in HamiltonOhio in a home surrounded on three sides by woods.One of my favorite activities as a child was to go walking through these woods. In fact, my many years of walking along the same paths wore a mini trail system through the forest. As I got older, I spent less time in the woods as school work and other pursuits consumed larger quantities of my time.

As a sophomore in college, I bought a book (from the bargain bin, where it never should have been) called 50 Hikes in Ohio by Ralph Ramey that reignited by interest in the woods. I also discovered a trail system immediately east of campus at Miami University, my now two-time alma mater. With this discovery, my hiking career was born. Ramey’s book interested me so much that I began writing about each new trail I hiked. It is that still-growing collection of writings that is presented here.

While each blog entry is based on my personal experience while hiking the trail, I have tried to make the blog more useful to others by embedding my experience into a more general trail description. I have also included directions to the trailhead, hoping that you might find the same pleasure in hiking many of these trails that I have. Please keep in mind that this is a blog, not a publishable trail guide. Amazon.com is the best source I know for published trail guides. I have written an extensive collection of hiking guide reviews on Amazon; this link leads to a full collection of my Amazon reviews.

I have organized my hiking blog by region. Clicking on a link below will take you to my hiking blog for that region. Once there, you can search the blog using the search box or click on "list of trails" for a table summarizing my hikes for that region. The newer entries have my photos integrated into the trail descriptions and a Google map roughly showing the route of the hike. All distances are estimates, and while I make no guarantee that the information contained herein is accurate, the entries and web information were accurate at the time I hiked the trail, to the best of my knowledge. Enjoy the reading!

Here are links to the other regions of my hiking blog:

Golden Staff Hikes (the best hikes in this blog regardless of geography)

Virginia/W. Virginia/Maryland/Delaware
Western USA (states west of Minnesota/Louisiana, including Alaska)


Or, for something completely different, grab a slice of my new pizza blog, complete with its 80 point rating system.

3 comments:

  1. I can see that you have covered a lot of grounds. These hikes must have brought you more closer to God as the nature is constantly singing His greatness. Keep on hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you have a great blog. As an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker I had to recently come off the trail due to family problems and a messed up LCL. With the time off I created a large free community site just hiking. Since you are a great writer I wanted to see if you would consider making a blog post about the site. I think if you would take a look at it at HikingHikes.com you will see that it has the potential to be a wonderful hiking community. I have no true way of advertising it without spamming and I'm not one to do such. So I'm sincerely asking that you consider writing an article about it on your blog.. If you do would you please email me and let me know you did so? Thank you and I truly hope you consider this.

    HikingHikes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dwane,

      Well, I think you have advertised it rather well with your comment. Your website has a lot of potential. I actually have an idea that might help both you and me. You will get an email from me in the near future.

      See you on the trail,

      The Mathprofhiker

      Delete