Friday, December 29, 2023

61 New Hikes in 2023!

I have a few more hikes to post from my October hiking trip to Ohio, but the turning of the calendar says it is time for my annual summary and reflection post.  2023 was a great year on the trail with God's creation in its natural state.  We did 61 new hikes in 2023, a new record for number of new hikes in a year.  Those 61 hikes covered 155.9 miles of trails across 24 different states.  Major hiking destinations covered in 2023 included Cumberland Island National Seashore in coastal Georgia (I had waited almost 20 years to hike there), Mount Greylock State Reservation, the highest point in Massachusetts, Bash Bish Falls and adjacent Taconic State Park on the New York/Massachusetts line, and Warren Dunes State Park on the shore of Lake Michigan.  We also completed our goal of visiting and hiking in every state park in Georgia.  I went through a difficult and major life change in 2022, but the first year of my "new life" has been a prolific one on the trail.

Looking ahead to 2024, we have a long hiking trip to southern California scheduled for early in the year.  Blog Hike #1000 will probably happen out west in the middle of that trip, which will check off one of my long term goals set many years ago: 1000 blog hikes before I turn 50 years old.  We will also spend quite a bit of time in Indiana next year with the goal being to finish visiting and hiking in every state park in Indiana; we have hiked in about half of Indiana's state parks already, so we will try to do the other half in 2024.  We should also have our usual trips to Ohio and Tennessee.  I am looking forward to another great year on the trail in 2024!

As always, I want to thank you for reading the posts and watching the videos here at Parking Full Time.  Your views, comments, subscriptions, and likes encourage me to keep this project going.  I'll see you on the trail in 2024!

Happy new year, take care, and Lord bless,

David Prager, aka Big Dave, the Parks Professor


2023 Summary and Reflection Video (recorded at Lake Hartwell State Park in South Carolina):


No comments:

Post a Comment