Thursday, December 29, 2016

Closing Out 2016

Phinizy Swamp Nature Park marks the end of another prolific year on the trail for me.  Though I didn't plan it this way, there has been a swamp theme to my hiking trips this year.  I started back in January in the Louisiana swamps, then went to Dismal Swamp in southeast Virginia, later did Cedar Bog in Ohio (not quite a swamp, but close), then went to the swamps of eastern North Carolina, and finished with Phinizy Swamp near Augusta, GA.  Counting swamps and everything else, I hiked 57 new trails this year for 165 miles in 17 different states, including 2 new states: Missouri and Nebraska.  Overall, I have had a fantastic time observing God's creation in its natural state on the trail this year.

Looking forward to 2017, I should get off to a fast start: I have a trip planned to southern Alabama in January.  I also hope to get to Arkansas (new state!), Kentucky, Michigan, and western Pennsylvania this coming year.  (Aside: I have under-hiked Pennsylvania, considering it is not that far from where I live.  There are a lot of fine state parks up there, and I have only done 9 Pennsylvania hikes, which ranks 16th out of the 39 states I have hiked in.)

Thank you for reading, and see you on the trail in 2017!

David, aka the Mathprofhiker

No comments:

Post a Comment