Thursday, December 18, 2014

Halfway to 1000 Hikes!

This post is a reflection/celebration post marking the fact that I did my 500th blog hike this week on a hiking trip to South Carolina's lowcountry (yes, I am a few hikes behind in terms of posting).  When I started writing up hikes back in 1997, I had no idea it would go this far, but I am glad it did.  Now I hope to get 1000 hikes by age 50, a very obtainable goal if I keep doing hikes at near my current rate.

My lowcountry hiking trip also probably marks the end of my hiking for calendar year 2014.  Despite some personal issues, I have had a pretty good year on the trail.  I did 47 new hikes this year totaling 120 miles in 9 different states.  A few years ago 40 new hikes in one year seemed like a lot; these days I do 40-50 new hikes every year.  I also upgraded (by adding pictures) more than 35 old hikes.  I hiked in 2 new states in 2014: New Mexico and Oklahoma.  My state hiking count now stands at 35 with the goal being all 50 states by age 50.  15 more states over the next 12 summers shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Looking forward to 2015, I hope to get back to New England next summer.  I have not been northeast of New York since 2004.  Besides, if I plan to hike in all 50 states, I need to hike in Connecticut and Rhode Island at some point.  I also hope to spend some time in Alabama/Mississippi/Louisiana next year.  I have not been to those states enough given their proximity to South Carolina.  Finally, I will probably get back to southwestern Ohio next year: I have a lot of old hikes in need of an upgrade there.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

David, aka The Mathprofhiker

No comments:

Post a Comment